The dental industry is getting better and much more advanced, especially with a variety of innovative developments that make it possible for patients to receive treatments in a comfortable and relaxed environment. Gone are those days when people are not encouraged to complete their treatments or procedures with their dentists because of discomfort and painful experience.
Nowadays, you can easily approach your dentist to ask for cosmetic dentistry such as dental bonding to improve your smile and self-confidence. With tooth bonding performed by your dentist, you can keep a bright and beautiful smile that will last for a long period of time and without discomfort or irritation.
What is Dental Bonding?
Bonding is the use of a composite resin, usually a plastic, to fix a decayed or fractured tooth. It is a tooth-colored material that can be used to repair chipped and discolored teeth and help them to appear more attractive and longer. This cosmetic dental procedure can also be used to close gaps between teeth or to reshape or make your teeth appealing. It can as well be used to protect a small portion of the root of a tooth that is visible due to gum receding. Bonding is the best alternative to amalgam fillings and only requires a single visit to your dentist to be completed. It doesn’t require a custom-made mold to get a perfect bond that will fit your tooth.
It is called bonding because the composite resin is a material that will bond to your tooth for a long period of time and it is one of the easiest and most affordable dental procedures around. Unlike other dental procedures such as veneers, bonding doesn’t need any preparation in the lab unless it is used to fill tooth decay.
How is Dental Bonding Done?
If you need a dental bonding procedure, your dentist will determine the color of the composite resin that will fit the tooth to be bonded by using a shade guide. After then, a tool will be used to remove part of the tooth surface and coated with a liquid to allow it to adhere firmly to the bonding material. After the tooth has been prepared, the resin is applied and molded and smoothen into the proper shape. Your dentist will then use a laser to make the material hard and cut it to achieve a perfect shape.
The final stage of the procedure is polishing the material to match the soft smooth shiny appearance of the tooth surface. In many cases, tooth bonding will only take a few minutes, but your dentist can decide to arrange multiple visits if you need to bond multiple teeth.
Types of Dental Bonding
Dental bonding is classified into forms; direct composite bonding and adhesive bonding. Direct composite bonding is the use of tooth-colored material such as resin to repair chipped or cracked tooth or to fill cavities. It is also a procedure to close spaces between teeth and cover up the damaged edge of the teeth. This method of bonding is done by applying the material directly to the tooth surface that will be visible when you smile.
Adhesive bonding is a form of tooth bonding that involves attaching a dental restoration such as a crown, veneer, bridge and porcelain to a tooth.
Advantages of Dental Bonding
Tooth bonding, otherwise known as dental bonding is a simple cosmetic procedure that is designed to improve your smile. It is used to enhance the appearance and repair chipped or discolored teeth. Moreover, if you have a receded gum line that exposes the root of a tooth, bonding can be used to protect it and for closing gaps between your teeth. This dental treatment has many benefits besides being commonly used in cosmetic dentistry.
- It is a dental process that can be done in the comfort of your dentist’s office and does not require any preparation in a lab.
- The treatment can be completed during a single visit to your dentist’s office and does not require a dental anesthetic.
- It is an affordable cosmetic dental treatment when compared with customized tooth procedures that will be manufactured in a lab.
- Your dentist will only need to remove a small amount of enamel from your tooth to carry out bonding.
- It is a great way to improve your oral health – composite resin is an effective material that can treat cavities and several other types of tooth problems. It can be used to reinforce the walls of your tooth and stop decay from spreading.
How to Care for Dental Bonding?
After you’ve successfully completed the procedure of improving your smile with dental bonding, the next thing you need to know are the methods to care for your new teeth appearance. Your dentist will give you instructions to be followed at home to enable you to keep the natural look and color of the bonding, as well as its ability to last longer. However, below are a few tips that can help you to maintain your bonded teeth;
- You should always have the habit of maintaining good oral hygiene such as brushing and flossing your teeth regularly and using mouthwash every day.
- You should avoid creating a situation that will chip your bonded teeth, such as chewing hard substances.
- Smoking can cause tooth discoloration.
- Make sure to visit your dentist at least twice a year.
- You should reduce the consumption of tea, coffee, and red wine.
- You should always remove food particles by drinking plenty of water which is also good to lower your mouth’s acidity level.
If you are still doubtful about improving your smile with dental bonding or want to know if you are qualified for the procedure, come to Freedom Dental and talk with our cosmetic dentist.